Saturday, May 5, 2012

My first wedding cake

So here are pictures of my first--and likely last--wedding cake. It didn't turn out quite the way I'd wanted it to, but still, I learned from it, and I'm confidant I could do better next time I work with fondant. Maybe I should've practiced more before I made the actual cake. Oh well. The bride liked it anyway.
I did this much of the cake all by myself. I've used fondant before, but not on a circular cake. I had trouble not having creases in it, especially near the bottom of each layer. And Valerie warned me about the frosting between layers of cake bulging, but I did went ahead and did it anyway. And yep, you can see bulges in the middle of each layer. In spite of all my mistakes, though, I was amazed at how many people loved it and told me it looked great.

Here's the final product. Another sister in the ward added the flowers on. The table looked so empty, I wanted to add a little extra greenery along the back, but got voted down.

No comments: